An attempt to document my creative pursuits and spew inspiration into the universe.

An attempt to document my creative pursuits and spew inspiration into the universe.

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Music to Spin By

I recently came across this gem at the library : The Rough Guide to the Music of Kenya. This CD contains a great overview of contemporary Kenyan music such as roots benga, rumba, coastal taarab, and urban rab. Sounds intriguing, no?High-energy benga, with its pulsing beat, great bass-lines, and funky, interlocking guitar riffs, puts me in mind of Congolese Soukous. Infectious, booty-shaking rhythms. Really, there is no sitting still when this music is playing! Which makes it perfect for spinning. Treadle to that beat; watch that bobbin fly. Twice through the CD gets me a bobbin-full, happy all the time. I'd highly recommend this CD to the lover of African music, or to someone who just wants to check out a new flavor of hip-shaking goodness. And if you're not in a spinning mood, then slip off your shoes, pop in this CD, blend up a batch of papaya margaritas, and do a barefoot boogaloo in the kitchen with your sweetie. As to what I'm spinning? Well, you'll just have to stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!