An attempt to document my creative pursuits and spew inspiration into the universe.

An attempt to document my creative pursuits and spew inspiration into the universe.

Friday, March 6, 2009

Knitting Needle Case

In an attempt to organize, I whipped up this groovy case to hold my double pointed needles.I'll show you lots of detailed photos, in case you'd like to make one for yourself.First I did some calculating and figured out the measurements. Since I wanted to be able to store all my dpns together, I made mine 18" long by 13" high. That's big enough to fit a set of needles in each size up to 13s, with a nice flap for folding over. I think it would also be nice to make a smaller one, holding fewer needles, for a more portable case.I used blue corduroy for the outside, and an Indonesian batik print for the inside. I cut a piece of each fabric to my measurements, and sewed them together by serging around the outside. I appliqued the meandering purple lines on the outside by zig-zag stitching on thin strips of stretched cotton knit.For the needle pocket, I cut a piece of each fabric measuring 17" long by 5.5" high. I fastened the fabrics together by serging around the outer edges. If I were using a heavier fabric, I would just make the pocket of a single layer. Next I sewed on the applique (the image with the people) by zig-zagging around it. Then I sewed on the purple lines, and then the strip of tan fabric for writing the numbers on.I attached the needle pocket by stitching around three sides, leaving the top open. Then I stitched the channels for holding the needles. (fun!) I made the channels on the left smaller, to hold smaller needles; the channels get larger as they go to the right. The smallest ones are about 3/4" wide, and the largest are 2" wide.I wrote the numbers on with a permanent marker after I stitched the pockets. I wasn't able to put numbers on the smaller pockets because the applique was in the way. I really like the way that image looks, though, so I just left the numbers off. Next time I make one, I'll remember to embellish in a way that leaves space to number all the pockets.To finish, I stitched a tie onto one outside edge; another thin strip of stretched cotton knit. (when you cut a thin strip and stretch it, it forms a kind of cord).This needle case works great, and whenever I'm starting a knitting project, it's luxurious to just grab this roll and have all the dpns together in one place, nicely organized.If anyone is inspired to make their own case, I'd love to see pictures!

1 comment:

  1. Whoah! I love your juxtaposition of blue corduroy and brownish batik. It's so surprising and 'out there'. Great stuff!


I'd love to hear from you!