An attempt to document my creative pursuits and spew inspiration into the universe.

An attempt to document my creative pursuits and spew inspiration into the universe.

Saturday, October 17, 2009

footstool recovery

Ever since we finished painting and re-arranging our front room, I've been inspired to slowly create new & needed textiles to decorate the space. Most recently, I decided to re-cover this humble foot stool.
I used my favorite technique of late; randomly sewing down scraps of sweater wool to a backing fabric. I'm so in love with this process. For one, it uses tiny scraps of fabric in a most lovely way! I like the randomness of it; the freedom of just grabbing into the basket of scraps and plonking down whatever I pull out.
For the final touch, and to pull all that randomness together, I like to sew thin, meandering strips on the surface, and travel all over the surface with machine top-stitching.
Hmmm, looks like it'll fit. The back looks interesting, too.
Here I've laid it over the stool upside down, and am pinning the corners to fit. I then stitch the corners and trim off the excess fabric.
Next, I sewed a casing of knit fabric all around the bottom edge.
Thread a cord through. I used a strip of sturdy knit fabric.
Oh yes, this is fitting nicely.
Snugging up the drawstring.
Tuck in the ends.
Foot stool cozy!
I like it.
Testing out the new thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!