An attempt to document my creative pursuits and spew inspiration into the universe.

An attempt to document my creative pursuits and spew inspiration into the universe.

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Felted and Stuffed: Snarflie

I'm so inspired!I made this crazy creature by crocheting some handspun yarn into a lumpy skin, felting it in the washing machine, and then stuffing it.I'm in love! I was very happy to stuff it full of tiny bits of fabric scraps. I don't know which was more exciting; watching Snarflie's body take shape, or finding a use for the tiniest of scraps.As you can see, the eyes and ears are just pinned on, but I think they look pretty good, and I'll sew them on where they are.The inspiration for this technique came from Lexi Boeger's book Intertwined. She has a great description of creating what she calls Nozzlers. Here is the first one I made. Random crocheting with random yarns created an evocative, somewhat abstract form. I wanted to try for something a bit more recognizable, but still having random elements. Most of it is made from fat, lumpy singles I quickly spun up and crocheted with right off the bobbin, plus some random bits of handspun from the stash. What fun! I have ideas for many more...I hope they hatch soon.

3 comments:

  1. It's totally cute. It's like a space aged aardvark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my son wants it - he says it looks like a nice dog - with several wagging tails:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arf, Arf, snoofle, snoodle, snoookle.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!